Bushel & Peck Bakeshop
3907 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd – Portland
I said there would be more soon from Bushel & Peck. I wasn’t lying.
This one: a chocolate crinkle. But like the ginger molasses with sesame from the same bakery, it’s a classic with a twist that takes it from (sort of) ubiquitous to fairly unique. The orange (zest, I’m presuming) is a great addition to an already delicious cookie
Presuming, of course, that you love orange in your chocolate. I do. If you do not, I totally get it. I don’t love raspberry with chocolate; it’s weird and cloying. But orange and chocolate? I am very fond of orange and chocolate.
• Impressive girth (see photo)
• Studded with semi-sweet (possibly bittersweet) chocolate chunks
• Orange essence throughout
• Crispy exterior gives way to deeply chocolate, fudgy and moist center. (Note: it is flourless. This almost always means more flavor. And also, obviously, un cakey.)
• Coated in powdered sugar. A standard move on a crinkle cookie, but adds no value other than aesthetic. And it gets all over my shirt and lips. I could do without the p. sugar, frankly.
Very good. I will have this cookie again.